Thursday, August 14, 2008

Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, Book 4) by Stephenie Meyer

Book four of the popular Twilight series starts where Eclipse left off. A wedding is in the works with the promise of immortality to come. Questions start to get answered from the very beginning, yet more questions arise as well. Where is Jacob; will Bella ever see him again? How are her parents reacting to the engagement? Will she get turned? How will she handle her first year? What will happen to the werewolf/vampire pact if she is turned? Will she kill anyone if she is turned? And will the Volturi be paying a visit anytime soon?

The description may seem short, but I did not want to give too much away for those who have not read it yet. I stayed up late to finish this one, but not because I was loving every minute. Instead, I wanted to see how this ended because I was amazed at what I was reading from the very beginning! I thought that the story line was absolutely ridiculous and way more mature then the previous books. Can middle school and early high school students even relate to Bella anymore? I couldn't and I am an adult. Her whiny nature was also starting to get to me, but I got a break from it. Those of you who have read the book know what I mean. I also felt that the level of sacrifice in this book was nothing compared to the previous three. Not that I wanted everyone to die, but sometimes a writer needs to sacrifice things for the story and to keep the characters consistent. I have many more complaints about this book, but I don't want to give too much away (not that you would believe me if I told you). This is one that can be skipped, though if you are a Twilight fan, you won't. Just don't read it twice. Instead pick up Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for the 10th time. You'll thank me.
Gr. 9-12

No comments: